Pages

On a Journey to Wellness

Come with me on my journey to losing weight, getting healthy and going out to meet the world head-on!

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Second Blog-aversary: My Achievements

If you've been following my blog for a while you might remember that I claimed 2011 to be 'The Year of Risk Taking'. Last year was the 'Just Do It' year with great success. So how did I do this year? Let's find out.

Taking risks can be more than just about weight loss. I took this thing seriously when it came to my life. In January I had an "epiphany" as I like to call it. I decided that I wanted to move away from field biology and try my hand at Environmental Education. By the end of June this year I had taken a serious risk, quit my current field job, moved to an island and started working in Environmental Interpretation and I now work at a science camp for 5th and 6th graders.

This year I also decided to take a plunge in to something I usually ran away from: intimacy. Low self-esteem and self-worth can really screw a persons perspective on themselves. It's kind of like the whole saying, "How  can you love others if you don't even love yourself?" Since I gained some confidence my relationships have taken a whole new level.

This year I've also tried to focus on my diet and tried different things. I attempted calorie counting, eating small portions/meals throughout the day, eating only when I'm hungry. I tried eating less carbs, eating less meat, juice fasting, and not doing anything on my diet and simply focus on exercise. All "diet" experiments came with mixed results and different levels of success in each.

With exercise my main risk and challenge was taking up jogging. I went from jog/walking to further jog stretches. I continued to the point of investing in running shoes (getting my gait measured and everything) and finally running in my first 5k race this November.

I hiked more than I have before. I've traveled a good deal within my state as well as having a couple of escapades whether or not I could afford it. LOL.

This year I was able to cross things off my Bucket List more than I have any year prior. Some of the items on the list were...

Drive a golf cart.
Learn how to use a bow and arrow.
Ride a horse.
Run a 5k.

...just to name a few.

So how do I feel?

I feel accomplished.
I feel stronger.
I feel more confident.
I feel.... good.

For the most part.
------------------------------------

But there are a lot more things I want to accomplish. This is just the start. There are a lot more goals I need to work on.

For 2012 I've decided to call it the year of  "Going for the Goal". What does this mean?

It means that I will focus on working on specific goals to better myself. Now isn't this what I've been doing already? Yes, but this year I'm planning on taking it to the next level. I will not stop until I make that goal. And then I'll keep going to stay at that goal.

This year I will try my hardest to do the things I've been planning to do for YEARS. I will try my hardest to take those dancing classes I've been talking about for almost a decade. I will try to finally learn how to ride a motorcycle. I will try to move to the areas I've been dying to see and of course:

It's time to finally lose the weight and work on getting to my goal weight (175 lbs) by the end of 2012.

No more excuses. No more worrying what people think. No more stopping because of worrying about expenses. I'll make it work. I'll figure it out. I'll save. I'll sacrifice. I'll do what it takes.


 This is the time to do it. I'm not getting any younger. (LOL). There is no one else to stop me but myself. Sure there is some unconscious sabotaging going on here and there but in the end it is my responsibility to resist, to ignore, to walk away from those temptations and those people.

My next post will be about the plans I have to start working toward that goal weight. I'm making a specific plan for the next couple of months to get me in to a good start for the rest of the year.

Have a good New Year everyone! Good luck on your goals, your challenges, your journey. I'll be checking in to see how everyone else is doing. LOL

love
-w0rld


No comments: