Pages

On a Journey to Wellness

Come with me on my journey to losing weight, getting healthy and going out to meet the world head-on!

Thursday, September 1, 2011

I miss the gym.

It's true. I've been having trouble coming up with new strength training work outs and have been lazy doing cardio once the weather turned warmer. In other words I've been slacking. I promised myself I was going to get better and I went out yesterday to look for books to read.

I wanted to focus on books that dealt with WHY we over eat and HOW we can work on our mental state rather than just worry about calories in vs. calories out. One thing I ended up looking at were magazines. I picked up a copy of Men's Health.

This copy to be exact. I admit a big part of me picked it up because it had a picture of Stephen Moyer, but that's beside the point.


I read an article while standing by the rack and it made me miss the gym.

I was never a huge fan of the gym but now that I don't really have the option of going to a gym (I move every few months, and usually to places that don't have a 24 Hour Fitness so my membership is kind of pointless) I kind of realize how convenient they can be and how much more challenging it can be without one. The 24 Hour Fitness has classes that would usually cost a ton of money each on their own. There are trainers and machines that help you with different body parts etc. It's pretty useful to have everything in one place. You can move from station to station and get a full body work out in an hour or so. It's nice.

I'm not saying I can't do it without a gym. I've lost 50 lbs, most of those pounds without a gym. But when I'm struggling with coming up with new work out routines, especially in strength training (my weakness) it would be nice to have a membership and someone to help me define a work out just for me.

That's what I got when reading Men's Health... and other books and magazines with similar-yet-slightly-different advice. Though I steer clear of anything that promises losing weight fast with minimal effort, or any magazine that focuses more on looking beautiful with make up and fashion rather than hard work and sweat. I don't want to delude myself in to thinking there's a magic pill.

There is no magic pill.

I'll figure this out.

love
-w0rld

2 comments:

"KT" said...

Have you tried some tapes you can do at home? I know it's not the same but you can definitely work up a hard sweat still, and get those lovely endorphins. :)

Vb said...

check out "Body Rock Tv. com" its a cool website with tons of home strength workouts that kick your butt in minimal time.