Pages

On a Journey to Wellness

Come with me on my journey to losing weight, getting healthy and going out to meet the world head-on!

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Doing the Drastic

I finally told my mom what I have been doing and what I'm planning on doing to shed my weight and get healthier.

I picked a good time I think. I had accompanied her to her doctors appt because she was nervous about her results. She had gained weight recently and was worried about it (since she has a lot of diff. health problems too that can get worse with more weight gain).
After she spoke to her doctor we started talking about the different things we've done. The diets we've been in together. The lack of exercise and the lack of motivation to do it all. The frustrations she was having in gaining weight after she had kept it lower and balanced for almost three years after her gastric by-pass surgery. (Yup, she went that far and she still gained a whole bunch of weight back)

I saw all the extra medication her doctor prescribed her to keep her diff. levels balanced (when it could all be avoided by portion control and exercise.. it scared me to see all the different vials the pharmacists kept handing her.. not to mention all the ones she had at home waiting for her). I mentioned to her the 10,000 steps program (where you can wear a pedometer and track down the steps you take a day and slowly try to move up to 10,000 steps=5 miles a day). She liked the idea and ended up buying herself (and me hehehe) a fancy pedometer that not only tracks down your steps, but the distance, AND the calories it adds up to.


~fancy~

After we left the clinic, went to IHOP and ate from the healthy menu and headed to the Swap Meet (to look for stuff my mom needed and try out the pedometers) we continued to talk about every thing and I finally decided this was the best chance I was ever going to get.

I inhaled deeply and told her "This is a good time to tell you my little secret." and I did. I told her I had joined a gym and had been going since December. How the nutrition classes have been specifically to learn more about how to help myself and how I'm planning on changing my diet habits to help myself out.

Before she asked I told her about why I had kept it a secret. How I didn't want to say anything because then I would give up if someone told me anything about it if I waned away from it at some point. etc.. She nodded and finished my last sentence for me.

She kept quiet after I had revealed myself but not in a bad way. More like a pensive way. I'm sure she understands what I'm doing. I decided to stop there and change the subject. I didn't want to make it seem like a big deal because it's not supposed to be. It's supposed to be a BIG change but not an UNNATURAL or odd one. I wanted to keep it that way.

In the end I'm happy I told her. I don't feel to different or bad than I felt before. But I haven't told the rest of my family. I expect my mother will eventually say something to the rest. I'll just wait until she slips.

She seems happy with the pedometer. Even today (a day later) she came up to me to ask me what the average number of steps people take before they start striving for 10,000. I was happy to see that she had put on her pedometer for the day. It makes me happy.

I love my mother you guys. She's my hero.

My hero and me on New Years Day '10... oh yeah we definitely partied hard that previous night.

I'm glad I was finally able to fess up; here and to the most important woman in my life.

Time for change is now!

I love you all.

-w0rld <3

No comments: